Monday, October 17, 2016

Take care...

"Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one's life does not consist of possessions."
Luke 12:15

This is a drumbeat I've tried to march to for quite a while, with varying degrees of success.  I first learned about voluntary simplicity many years ago and the idea of living more as a minimalist intrigued me right away. I got rid of a ton of stuff immediately. But now I can see that living with less is only part of the call of Jesus.  Jesus' own lifestyle and his preferential concern for the poor and marginalized is the more important second part of this equation, I believe. It doesn't matter if I have just thirty-three things in my closet if my lifestyle doesn't show generosity to the poor. (Although the 333 Project has been fascinating!) The real message is if I am living with less, I can share more with others.  That seems to be the whole ball of wax for me this autumn Monday. Jesus, you know how I struggle with stuff and my need for security keeps my grip tight around my resources. Please help me to live with less so I can help others.  As Fr. Richard Rohr says so wisely, "Live simply so others may simply live." Amen! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment