Thursday, November 3, 2016

All good gifts are to be shared

"No, we do not truly comprehend any spiritual thing until we ourselves give it away. Spiritual gifts increase only by 'using' them, whereas material gifts normally decrease by usage."
Fr. Richard Rohr, "Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps"

This is one of the most important lessons I feel God is trying to teach me.  I say "trying" because I am a rather hard sell in this area.  I love going off alone on retreat and just letting God love me so much! But God has made it clear to me that retreat time is only me filling up to give to others.  I could soak in God's love for days and days, just taking, taking it in. But God is clear that my receiving is for giving to others later. Anything I glean on retreat must be shared or the true gift is lost. We can pray with this message by first looking, gratefully, at the spiritual gifts God has given us.  Once identified, we can ask God for avenues to share them with others, since that is what God had in mind when we were given them!  All good gifts are meant to be shared...how can we do that today? Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment