Friday, November 18, 2016

Care for Creation...

"We Christians, together with the other monotheistic religions, believe that the universe is the fruit of a loving decision by the Creator, who permits man respectfully to use creation for the good of his fellow men and for the glory of the Creator; he is not authorized to abuse it, much less to destroy it. In all religions, the environment is a fundamental good."
Pope Francis to the United Nations Assembly, September, 2015

This is an area where I'm feeling overwhelmed by the thought of What can I do? The problem is much bigger than one person and it seems out of reach to make any kind of impact at all.  Over the years, I have made subtle changes and those subtle changes can add up.  If everyone makes changes, they can all add up.  We are fortunate, here in Idaho Falls, to have a very good recycling program that makes it so easy to recycle most everything.  We had a enlightening program several years ago at the Motherhouse that urged me to make simple changes like never leaving water running when I brush my teeth or any other water-using activity.  Every drop of water is precious! Here lately, I've taken to bringing a garbage bag whenever I walk the dog and I pick up trash along the route. I am always dismayed by how much stuff people just throw out their car windows! Really? The earth is ours to gently use, Friends. We are stewards and we need to be aware, every minute, of how we are treating our precious planet.  Can we spend some time this weekend thinking of small changes we can make in our day to tenderly care for our home?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment