Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Prayer for the journey...

"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing..."
Fr. Thomas Merton

This is the beginning of this beautiful prayer by Thomas Merton and it was the first handout we received in our Spiritual Direction program we began exactly four years ago. I remember reading it when it was passed to me and I teared up. It so beautifully describes the journey, doesn't it? And now, four years later, it still rings so true, no matter what I am going through, whether it be huge changes or the usual day-to-day. "I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you."  We can rest in that, Friends.  Thanks be to God, we can rest in that.  We will explore the second part of the prayer tomorrow. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment