Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Celebrate the unexpected!

One of the greatest challenges we face is to lay aside our need to control our life, especially our future. Are we open to the God of Surprises who seldom does things exactly as we expect?"
Sr. Melannie Svoboda, "In Steadfast Love"

The "God of Surprises!" I love that.  And isn't that the case?  I can see myself clinging tightly to control, only to feel so much better if and when I finally let go the reigns.  I don't have the Big Picture.  I don't know the whole story.  I may know a tiny fraction of the situation but that doesn't stop me from trying to control the situation.  And also, control can be boring.  For example, my house is completely disheveled with two kids home this week.  It looks like it was stirred with a spoon.  The control-side of me longs for order and tidiness, but I know that order and tidiness means no kids around.  And which would I rather have, ultimately?  It will be all-too quiet around here next week and I will long to have to forge my way through the living room! So, today, let's ease up on the grip of our lives.  Let's be more open to surprises and the unexpected.  Let's celebrate a little chaos in our summer day! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment