Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Come to the party!

"Are you envious because I am generous?"
Matthew 20:15

This reading will always remind me of my little friend, Helen.  She was a late worker to the field and yet, she received a full days' wages.  Some early workers may grumble about that, but not me.  I was just thrilled she came to the field at all.  This reading has always taught me that our sense of "fairness" is nothing compared to God's gift of mercy.  We go around thinking this is fair or that is unfair and God just chuckles.  God knows that God's gift of infinite mercy may seem overly generous to us, but thankfully, that doesn't stop God from lavishing us with love and mercy. God never gives up on us coming back if we wander away.  God never thinks it's too late for us to come to the party; God is just waiting for us with a party hat.  And so.  This reading will always be "Helen's gospel" for me because God brought it to life for me, in Helen.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment