Monday, August 15, 2011

Give me a sign!

"It is in the deep silence of a heart that doesn't desire anything stimulating that God can reveal himself."
Fr. Wilfrid Stinissen, "The is the Day the Lord Has Made"

I read this yesterday in the still silence of my backyard and it is sticking with me.  We are so needing to be captivated and entertained, even in our relationship with God.  We want signs, just like our ancestors in the first century.  We say, "If you do this, Lord, I will do that."  "Show me what to do, Lord, make the path clear to me."  Jesus performed miracles and signs, but he preferred it if the people didn't need them.  Jesus liked it better when their faith was a sign to him, like in yesterday's gospel about the woman who chased after him and wanted her daughter healed  (Matthew 15:21-28).  I sat in the backyard thinking about God's signs in my life and they are too numerous to count.  Each time I breathe in and out it is a sign that God wants me to keep on living on this planet.  After watching Helen's labored breaths that last day of her life, I realize eventually those breaths can stop.   But, I woke up this morning, breathing. That simple sign from God tells me exactly what God wants me to do. I am to get up and go about doing God's will here in Idaho Falls, Idaho, today.  What is God telling you, this day? Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment