Thursday, April 26, 2012

Give life!

"Jesus says to us, 'Either you give life to others in your relationships with them, or you drain them of it.'"
Brennan Manning, "Reflections for Ragamuffins"

I don't think we consciously mean to drain life out of others in our dealings with them. I think it's just hard to step out of ourselves and into their shoes, to see things how they see them. And, sometimes, we need to feel better about ourselves and do that at the expense of others. How are we supposed to give life to others in our relationships anyway? I think it is by validating others, appreciating them, being grateful and acknowledging them. And it can't be false, either. That is just as damaging as ignoring others, I think. I had a priest give me excellent advice one time in confession when I was struggling with a difficult work situation. He said that when anyone I work with does something I appreciate, to write a note or somehow go out of my way to thank them for the good they did. Not long later, I had the reason and opportunity to do just that and the whole situation changed for the better. We each need to be validated and appreciated along our journey on this planet. Today, let's be aware of how we can show that to others! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment