Friday, April 27, 2012

The gift of ourselves...

"Our greatest fulfillment lies in giving ourselves to others."
Henri Nouwen, "Life of the Beloved"

Once, when I was in high school, I stayed with some friends while my folks were out of town. The young family had a baby, and once when I woke in the middle of the night, I was greeted by the mom, cradling the baby and rocking her tenderly. I still remember thinking to myself, wow...that sure seems like hard work, having to get up so crazy early for a kid! Years later, when I was the one up in the night, cradling an infant, it didn't seem crazy at all. You do what you do because you love your child more than you love yourself...and sleep. Our giving ourselves to our children is just one example of the times in our lives when we give lovingly to others. Our aging parents may need our care; we may have friends who need us as they go through hard times. Or, if you're like me, you are blessed to have a career where you get to help others. We are all called to give of ourselves to each other! Today and this weekend, let's think about others who have given to us and ask God to show us how to lovingly give to others...the gift of ourselves! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment