Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Want vs. need...

"So do not worry and say, 'What am we to eat?' or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?'...'Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.'"
Matthew 6:31-32

So, last night at the grocery store, I bought one lemon. I set it on the cashier-belt-thing and watched its lonely little self ride to the cashier. She looked at me like I had two heads. "One lemon?" she queried. There were many things I could have purchased. It was dinner-time and I was hungry. The lemon-pepper rotisserie chicken smelled wonderful. I could buy that. But, I'd decided, for once, to only buy what I needed. I needed a lemon. We are so conditioned to stock up, fill up the cart, buy what we want. The stores count on us to do that and they look perplexed at us when we don't. But what do we really need? Sometimes it's a good idea to try to separate the needs from the wants, isn't it? We need so much less than we have! It's definitely something to think about next time you go to the store. And if you really want to stock up and fill up the cart, take items to St. Vincent de Paul. They have a great need this summer! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment