Monday, June 18, 2012

My friends, Silence and Solitude...

"Without some quiet reflection, some solitude and stillness, our inner eyes will eventually be too blurred and weary to discover God in the rushing of our demanding days."
Sr. Joyce Rupp, "Prayer"

Yesterday morning, I had the most glorious opportunity to have a mini-retreat, right in my backyard! I spend hours out there (before the gale force winds came up) and read, prayed, listened, and, at times, just sat there, staring at the pine tree. It was quiet and peaceful; only the sounds of an occasional bird and the rhythm of the neighbor's sprinkler. It was such a wonderful time! It doesn't escape me that I have these opportunities because of my life situation. I have the freedom to take several hours and just spend them with God. It is such a gift! So, whenever I feel my life is lacking something, I just have to return to the backyard and live the Gift. It is so easy for us to dwell on what we don't have or cannot do. But it really helps to take an honest look and see what we really have and can really do. Silence and solitude are two relatively new friends of mine that I am enjoying immensely! Blessings on your Monday! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment