Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Live deliberately!

"Shock me out of shallow living,
to deliberately commit myself
to dive deep inside this gifted day,
tasting, sensing each of its gifts."
Fr. Ed Hays, "A Book of Wonders"
 
Fr. Ed Hays explains that Henry David Thoreau went to live alone in a small hut near Walden Pond because he wanted to "live deliberately." I love that! So I spent some time this morning thinking about what that means on this June Tuesday...to live deliberately. First, I think it means to live with an intense awareness of everything around you. I noticed the beautiful fresh, spring-y fragrance of the air this morning as I poked my nose outside. The air smelled so sweet! Second, I really feel a call today to pay attention to the people I encounter...from coworkers and clients to the attendant at the gas station where I get my morning coffee. I want to deliberately appreciate them and be kind to them. Who knows what they are going through on their June Tuesday? And finally, I want to enjoy this day and celebrate the fact that I have been given a gift of this June Tuesday. It's the only time in my life I will experience June 11, 2013. I want to make the most of it! (perhaps an ice cream cone?) Anyway, it may just seem like a ho-hum day. But today is a special day in that some people will be born today. Some people may go Home to God today. Some people may get a job today or meet a new friend today. Let's think about how we can live deliberately today and not miss a single moment of wonder. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment