Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The gift of solitude

"It is in our solitude that God gives himself to us completely."
Charles de Foucauld (as quoted in "Reflections for Ragamuffins" by Brennan Manning)

During these last several years I have learned two important truths:
1) God is all I have
2) That is more than enough

When I was doing my mobility training to learn to teach blind people, I was blindfolded for all the lessons. For months. I found, oddly, that when I put the blindfold on, I became "someone." It's not that I became someone else, but I became me, more tuned in to what was going on around me and also inside me. It's hard to explain, but there it is. I find that, since I have unwrapped the gift of solitude, in my alone time, I become "someone" too. Not someone else, but someone akin to me, only a deeper me. I laugh at my own jokes, I share ideas and feelings with myself. I'm quite honest with myself. I'm pretty good company! But this quote today really points to why. I'm more tuned into God when it is just God-n-me. Like being more tuned into things around me and within me while blindfolded, I'm more tuned into God when I'm alone with God. God even laughs at my jokes! The gift of solitude is truly that--a gift. Blessings on your Wednesday! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment