Sunday, June 2, 2013

One fish, two fish...

"Then taking the five loaves and the two fish,
and looking up to heaven,
he said the blessing over them, broke them,
and gave them to the disciples to set before the crowd."
Luke 9:16
 
The miracle of the loaves and fishes (Sunday's Gospel, Luke 9:11-17) really got me thinking as I sat outside and pondered it early yesterday morning. I tried to imagine myself there with the five thousand and tried to picture how it all played out. I imagined that it involved a good deal of sharing among the people, too. Think of it. Jesus asks the disciples to get the folks in groups of fifty. Then the disciples begin to hand out the bread and fish meal. I pictured people taking the bread and passing it to the others in their groups. They passed it to people they knew, but also people they didn't know...or maybe didn't even like! In my mind's picture, Jesus' miracle of the loaves and fish required the people to share with each other, too. And that is so much how we can continue that miracle in our own day. We share in the miracle of Jesus' body and blood, and then go out and share that grace with everyone we meet. So, let's make that our vision for today...to share Jesus' gift with others! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment