Monday, July 15, 2013

Who is my neighbor?

Question: "Who is my neighbor?" (Luke 10:29)
Answer: Anyone who needs me.
 
Yesterday's Gospel was the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:29-37).  Just like the lawyer confronting Jesus we are often puzzled by "Who is our neighbor?"  Jesus went completely against the thinking of his time and featured a Samaritan as the good guy in his parable.  The Good Samaritan didn't know the fellow he chose to help.  He went out of his way to be kind, generous, and compassionate to a complete stranger, unlike the others (religious figures) who crossed the road to avoid the injured wayfarer.  Jesus tells his inquisitor (and us) to follow the example of the Good Samaritan.  During our homily, Fr. Raul asked us what may keep us from going out of our way to help our neighbor.  Fear is a common excuse.  We may be fearful of repercussions, or for our own safety; valid concerns, those.  But, in addition to fear, I find what keeps me from more neighborly actions is my selfishness with my time.  I cherish my free time and seem to need large chunks of it!  That selfishness keeps me from doing more for my neighbors.  A good wake-up call for me!  We learned in the homily that our neighbors are not just those who live near us.  A neighbor is anyone who may need us.  And just like Jesus told the lawyer, we must do just as the Good Samaritan--go out of our way to help anyone who may need us.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment