Thursday, October 10, 2013

A time to uproot...

"There is an appointed time for everything,
and a time for every affair under the heavens.
A time to give birth, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant."
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
 
My flowers were pretty well killed off by the frost last weekend, so the other night I pulled them out, or uprooted them, as scripture says.  It was kind of sad at first.  They were especially fun this year, what with the surprise zinnias that were poofy and unusual.  But, as I was pulling them up, I thought of the daffodil and tulip bulbs that are buried beneath this very soil.  And how they are waiting patiently to make their showy entrance around April-ish.  And I thought of next year's garden and how I will be open to "surprise me" flowers, since I so enjoyed the poofy zinnias. It's the circle of life. And it is wonderful to behold. Now I will be able to spend evenings inside curled up with a good book, a cup of tea and nice soft music and not outside working in the yard. There is new life after death; a lesson from the garden for us this autumn day.  Blessings on your Thursday! I am on my way to Leavenworth and the Motherhouse!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment