Monday, October 14, 2013

Gratitude with legs...

"Jesus said in reply, 'Ten were cleansed, were they not? Where are the other nine?'"
Luke 17:17
 
I thought of the Gospel yesterday as I traveled home from Kansas.  I was especially aware of being grateful to the people working hard so I could arrive home safely, the airline check-in folks, the baggage handlers, the flight attendants, the pilots.  On one flight, one of the pilots had to come out and wrestle a suitcase into the overhead bin!  I wanted them to know I appreciated them.  But, I wondered if the words "thank you" are just too easy.  I started wondering if Jesus didn't have in mind us putting a little more meat on those words when he was asking where the other nine lepers were.  Words are cheap, the old phrase says.  But gratitude expressed and then kind action surrounding it makes it a little more worthwhile.  I will take away from this, not just saying thank you, but following up with a little extra kindness, too.  I always seem to get a survey from the airline after a trip and this time I will fill it out, thoughtfully and gratefully.  Gratitude needs to have legs to it...words may not be enough.  Let's think of that as we go about our day, today!  Thanks be to God, I have a holiday today!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment