Monday, June 2, 2014

Look at all those fish!

"All of us need to leave things behind to follow God...
It helps sometimes to look not just at what we're leaving behind and what God promises us, but also at what God has shown us already. Just look at all those fish."
James Martin, SJ, "Jesus: A Pilgrimage"
 
This was so fascinating to me when I read it yesterday.  It prompted me to sit down with a journal and write.  First, what do I feel I have left behind to follow God?  Anything? Fr. Martin suggests people may give up addictions, over emphasis on worldly success, and so on.  Here in this country we aren't persecuted for our faith as in other countries, so we may not actually feel we give up anything to follow God, but what about our following God's path for us?  We may be giving up one way of life for another; letting go of one path (that we may have enjoyed) to follow God's will for us.  Fr. Martin used the scripture of Jesus telling the fishermen to go deep and put out their nets (again).  Peter said, "Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets." (Luke 5:5) The haul of fish was so massive Peter needed his buddies to help get it in.  So, despite Peter's doubt, he did what Jesus asked and was in awe of the result.  I also sat and pondered all that God has shown and given me already...all the "fish" I have reeled in, leaving me in awe of Jesus' abundant gifts.  I could have filled an entire journal.  So, I invite you to take some quiet time and sit with this...maybe write down what comes to mind.  Have you given up anything to follow God? What has God shown you as a result?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment