Thursday, September 17, 2015

Our gift--God's work

"Do not neglect the gift you have..."
1 Timothy 4:14
 
Any mention of using our gifts reminds me of Fr. Caleb and his definition of humility: using the gifts God has given while giving God the glory.  I think I can see that so evident as I grow older and see God working through my own weakness.  I have long ago run out of ideas for this Daily Heidi-gram thing and yet, somehow, God gets one out more often than not. If I think about it, the real gift is in the yielding to God and not in the doing myself, and isn't that true for most of God's gifts? When our gifts become about us they quickly lose steam, but when our gifts are in letting God shine through us, we can step aside and see God work. The other part of this reading is about perseverance; Paul telling Timothy: "Attend to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in both tasks..." (v. 16). That speaks to me richly, too.  We must never stop learning ourselves so we always have something to share with others.  Those of us who have had the same career for many years may feel tempted to phone it in at this point, and that is NOT what we should do.  We need to keep it fresh, realizing that God's work through us is always new.   So, let's get out there this September Thursday and let God shine though us! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment