Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Martha time/Mary time

"There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."
Luke 10:42
 
I have told you about my "Martha/Mary" weekends, haven't I?  I spend Saturdays as Martha, running around, distracted and worried about many things.  But then I spend Sunday, silent, sitting at Jesus' feet.  It's a great system and I recommend it to you heartily!  But sometimes I need a bit of Mary in my Martha. Like last weekend.  I was tired from Martha-ing and just restless. So many things needed doing in my house--laundry, vacuuming, the dogs were crazy.  I didn't know where to begin.  I sensed a beckoning to The Quiet.  I gathered up some spiritual reading and my journal and headed to the day chapel at church.  There was nothing for me to do there except sit at Jesus' feet and listen.  It was an amazing time! There are times when Jesus just wants my undivided attention, and in order for that to happen I need to free myself from all distractions.  There are other times when Jesus wants me out there, trying to be a Good Samaritan.  There is grace in trying to balance them out.  Sometimes I need a bit of Mary time during my Martha time.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment