Thursday, December 17, 2015

Pure and clean...

  "For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment."
James 2:13
 
Pope Francis quoted this scripture last week as he began the Year of Mercy. And I thought he made it up!  I had several thoughts last night during the Reconciliation service and some may be worth sharing.  As I sat there, I felt the air just thick with mercy.  It was a tangible air quality, like humidity. There is something so humbling about a bunch of people coming out on a stormy night to confess their sins, and it was palatable.  There was a lot of mercy going in and out in that church!  Then, as I waited in line, I had a view out the window of a little courtyard.  The snow which had fallen during the afternoon was pristine and completely undisturbed.  It was like a beautiful blanket, just like it was put there by God.  In the midst of that there was a little potted pine tree, its branches heavy with new snow. It was like the scene on a Christmas card.  I had a realization that this pure beauty was just how God sees us.  In God's eyes we are just as God created us, clean and fresh, not yet disturbed by the anxieties and concerns that sometimes overwhelm us. Today, let's try to see each other, and ourselves, as the beloved of God, like a fresh blanket of snow.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment