Monday, June 13, 2016

On judging harshly...

“Bringing an alabaster flask of ointment, she stood behind (Jesus) at his feet weeping and began to bathe his feet with her tears…”
Luke 7:37-38

On Pray-as-you-go this past weekend, we were invited to pray about how we feel about this woman who washed Jesus’ feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. I was disappointed to recognize that I judged her rather harshly. Why would I be surprised, though, I judge most people harshly, I'm afraid. Pondering her at Jesus’ feet, I found myself saying to her, “Isn't what you're doing a bit over-the-top? Sheesh, get off your knees, for Pete’s sake!” I know. Harsh. That is why we should ponder these scriptures and spend time praying with them. Our own reactions can be so illuminating, even though we may not like what we see. We can't change what we don't realize about ourselves, can we? And we can't change what we don't bring to God and ask for help changing. So, I pray and re-think, then say to the woman, “Thank you for modeling such love and devotion for us! And I'm sorry I judged you so  when  I first noticed what you were doing…” Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment