Thursday, March 9, 2017

Learn from my mistakes!

"Calm your anger and forget your rage; do not fret, it only leads to evil"
Psalm 37:8
"Do to others whatever you would have them do to you."
Matthew 7:12

One of the things I try to do with these little reflections is pass along lessons I'm learning, even the hard lessons! So, there is a guy walking around town with a political sign. I know, it's March and the election is over, but this fellow is still campaigning. I saw his sign as I walked out of my office building leaving work yesterday. I thought the sign said one thing--which I agreed with. But when I flashed a thumbs up and he came running over, I noticed the sign said the opposite of how I believe. Yikes! I told the guy I'd misread his sign (I, seriously, am going to the eye doctor Monday!) and he went off on me, wanting me to defend my position. I told him the election is over, the ship has sailed, why still argue about it? Suffice it to say, by the time I told him I was finished talking to him (he'd said that my salary, as a government employee, was causing the country to be trillions of dollars in debt) I was physically shaking with anger. My head was throbbing. My knees were weak. Why did I engage like that?  Where was Heidi, the Sister of Charity of Leavenworth Associate, in that conversation? Why didn't I just disengage, bid him "Have a nice day!" and get in my car? I realized this morning that there are many lessons to learn from this guy. The first is to Let It Go...the second is to pray for him...may God keep him safe as he walks the busiest street in town with a campaign sign. The third is, what Jesus teaches us today, "Do to others whatever you would have them do to you." And, finally, if there is a next time, nod and smile at the guy with the sign, then get in your car and go home! There you have it--learn from my mistakes! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment