Monday, August 8, 2011

Stick your neck out!

"'Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.' He said, 'Come.'"
Matthew 14:28-29

Sometimes, you just have to get out of the boat.  That is just it.  I remember, so many years ago, when I was getting ready to go off to graduate school, far away, where I didn't know one person.  It was all so scary to me, and yet, exactly what I knew I was supposed to do.  At the height of my nervous anxiety, I went to mass and heard this gospel, about Jesus walking on the water and calling Peter to join him.  "Come," Jesus beckoned me to Michigan.  I was reassured that Jesus reached out and grabbed Peter as he faltered walking on the sea.  Jesus would also carry me along difficult days to come.  My dear friend, Mary Rau had a saying, "Behold the turtle--he only makes progress when he sticks his neck out."  We are continuously called to stick our necks out.  We are continuously called to get out of the boat.  Rest assured that we are safe!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment