Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Early memories of Lent...

"God is our refuge and our strength,
an ever-present help in distress,
therefore we fear not, though the earth be shaken and
mountains plunge into the depths of the sea."
Psalm 46

My earliest memories of Lent are being plucked out of my warm bed, teeth quickly brushed, a comb through my surely-wild hair, a coat thrown over my pajamas, and I would wake up about mid-way through 6:30 AM mass. This went on everyday in Lent. And every year of my childhood. I remember the smells and bells of Holy Thursday, the silence of Good Friday, the smell of Easter lilies, replacing the sad smells, on Easter Sunday. These rich, rich memories have fueled my spirit and my faith. Oh, certainly, I complained at the time, but looking back, it was such a wonderful spiritual heritage! Today, let's give a thought and prayer for the journey that brought us to where we are in faith today. For, wherever we are, it's good to be here! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment