Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Best. Dad. Ever.

"In word and deed honor your father that his blessing may come upon you."
Sirach 3:8

I know that today is the feast of St. Monica, patroness of mothers, but today, I need to talk about my father.  It has been thirty years, today, that my dad entered Eternal Life and, while that doesn't seem possible to me, it is true.  One of the reasons it may not seem possible is that I sense his presence with me, so he doesn't feel gone.  Such a gift, that.  I see him in my children, I find myself saying some of the funny things he said, and he is like Jiminy Cricket, standing on my shoulder telling me the right thing to do.  One story:  They were experimenting with personalizing the giving out of communion at St. Pius in the seventies.  They suggested that, as you step up to the Eucharistic Minister, you (quietly) say your first name, so the minister could say, "Body of Christ, Whoever."  I went ahead of my dad and all went well until I was walking back to my seat and I hear this thundering voice booming through the whole church, "Stewart W. Gainan!"  It was like Ted Baxter doing the news on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  I wanted to crawl under my pew!  But, that's who he was--flamboyant and funny, always wanted everyone to know who he was!  I miss you Dad...everyday.  I can't believe it's been thirty years!  Thanks, God...for giving me the best dad ever!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment