Friday, August 30, 2013

Farewell, dear Scout!

"But the wise virgins replied, 'No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.'"
Matthew 25:9
 
Today's reading is on the ten virgins, meeting the bridegroom with their oil lamps.  Five of the virgins have extra oil for the lamps and the other five do not.  Of course the bridegroom is delayed and those who are ill prepared run out of oil and miss the fun.  I guess I'd like to see the lesson be about the virgins sharing the oil with each other, but, that isn't today's lesson.  The lesson today is to be prepared!  Which reminds me of the Boy Scouts, which reminds me of Vince Aquino, whose memorial vigil is tonight and mass is tomorrow.  Vince was one of the most gifted writers I have ever met.  Yes, he had many gifts, but it was his writing that I personally appreciated the most.  I remember a talk he gave at an Evangelization retreat that touched me as much as any talk I have ever heard (and I have heard many!)  He began with his serious, deep voice.  "If you hear an odd grating sound as I begin this talk, it is because, in choosing me to give this talk, they are scraping of the bottom of the barrel."  He was humorous, but also so deep and sincere in sharing his story of enjoying a popsicle with a hospice patient he visited.  It was such a wonderful example of living the message of Jesus to me and I have never forgotten it.  Now, Vince is on the other side of Easter and we gather to celebrate his memory and life.  Tonight's vigil is at 7:00 at Christ the King and the mass is tomorrow, 10:00 AM, also at Christ the King.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment