Thursday, August 29, 2013

So nice to meet you...

"By thus speaking kindly to them, he reassured them."
Genesis 50:21

One thing I learned about myself while on retreat is that I talk to deer with an Iraqi accent. (Go ahead and read that again if you need to!) Let me explain. I have a client who is from Iraq and is learning English.  Whenever I see her she ever-so-kindly says, "Hallo, Hallo, so nice to meet you!" (no matter how many times I have met her). On retreat, there was a family of deer close by and one day they surprised me. I think I surprised them too!  As they stared at me, wary and afraid, I found myself saying to them, "Hallo, Hallo, so nice to meet you..." I didn't want them to be scared so I talked to them tenderly and gently.  It got me thinking.  I wonder if I tried to talk more gently to other strangers I encountered?  Human strangers, I mean.  What if I talked more kindly and tenderly to everyone? Let's think today about how kindly we talk to those around us.  If we feel we may need to improve, we can take a lesson from a dear Iraqi lady.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment