Monday, May 18, 2015

Apology accepted...

"Jesus said to Peter the third time, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me?' Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, 'Do you love me?' and he said to him, 'Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my sheep.'"
John 21:17
 
Thanks to the Little White Book, I prayed with this scripture this weekend.  What came to me surprised me.  Three times Jesus asks Peter "Do you love me?" Peter answers yes, he does. But never once does Peter apologize to Jesus for his denial of Jesus and cowardice during Jesus' Passion.  I'm just now noticing this.  Why no apology from Peter? Peter doesn't even ask Jesus for forgiveness.  This fascinates me.  Jesus knew Peter's heart, inside and out.  He knew Peter was sorry and stuck in his guilt, therefore, he urged Peter to affirm his love three times, once for each denial. But, Peter offers no apology? I think apologies are important.  We need to say them and others need to hear them.  Jesus has to coax his true feelings out of Peter, but I want to be more open and honest with Jesus.  When I know I did wrong or even didn't do my best, I want to apologize.  It helps me be real before God. God knows how I feel, sure.  But I want to say it, own it and celebrate the great forgiveness I receive.  That's a lot for a May Monday, but there it is!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment