Monday, April 11, 2016

The food that lasts forever!

"Do not work for food that perishes but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him the Father, God, has set his seal."
John 6:27
 
It seems odd to some that I choose to spend time at Silent Retreats, at the Hermitage in silence, or in my Silent Sundays.  For one thing, it is a bit of a change from my earlier days of being much more of a social butterfly and, certainly, rarely, if ever, silent!  But, I have found through having these times of silence, that I desperately need them! Just as I need to go to the grocery store each week for the food that perishes, I need to consistently have times of silence to be nourished by the food that never perishes.  Pray-As-You-Go asked, this morning, what "food" in our lives perishes?  I would think the success, accolades, awards, recognition, even financial rewards certainly are fleeting, aren't they?  They seem so nice while they happen, but the glow wears off after a time.  The trophy gets dusty on the shelf and you begin to wonder why it was ever important.  But, the people we know, the activities we share with them, the nourishment of spiritual truths and the time spent just with God are all examples of the "food" that lasts forever.  Today may be a good time to sit and ponder what is the "food" that perishes in our lives and what nourishment lasts so much longer...Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment